Job Title: Practice Group Marketing Specialist- Capital Markets
Company: Cooley LLP
Location: San Francisco, CA
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Senior Marketing Manager, the Practice Group Marketing Specialist will work closely with firm attorneys and other marketing team members to support all business development and marketing activities for the Capital Markets, Technology Transactions, Public Companies practices, and various additional firm efforts. The primary goal is to drive revenue through new business opportunities and client expansion programs, including pitches and proposals, events and sponsorships, sales pipeline management, key client initiatives, and business development coaching and training. This position is responsible for working with attorneys to respond to marketing and business development requests in a manner consistent with the firm’s overall strategy. Work is defined by the goals, objectives and policies of the department and the practices. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• In conjunction with the Senior Manager, practice group leaders and firm leadership, develop and support marketing and business development plans for practice group.
• Support short and long term strategic sales plans and tactics that result in measurable growth of business for the Firm, with emphasis on retention of and cross-selling (within new practice groups and offices) to existing clients. As well as cultivation of new clients for the firm.
• Help identify practice group targets/prospects and support programs, events, sponsorships, etc., to drive revenue.
• Guide practice-specific strategies/tactics and serve as liaison between practice group/office and other marketing functions.
• Coordinate and leverage activities with the business development efforts of attorneys and marketing managers across the firm.
• Serve as point of contact for business development/sales support for attorneys in assigned practice groups.
• Work with the marketing managers and partners to formulate and implement policies and procedures for business development initiatives, including proposal preparation, client presentations, sales pipeline management and market development.
• Assist on marketing support for RFPs/RFIs and other pitches and proposals with potential revenue gain.
• Coordinate and participate in sales and business development training sessions.
• Help identify and evaluate new business opportunities and targets. Identify trends in marketplace. Drive key target initiatives. Conduct business research and relationship searches. Collect key target account data. Participate on client-specific target teams.
• Support targeting initiatives consistent with overall firm strategy.
• Assess, analyze, target and initiate efforts to cultivate new clients for the Firm and expand Cooley’s cross-selling opportunities (between practice groups and among our various offices
• Effectively articulate the value proposition of Firm’s services to specifically targeted clients.
PROGRAMS AND VISIBILITY INITIATIVES
• Work with other marketing staff to execute hosted events, client receptions and alumni programs.
• Help manage business sponsorships and activities tied to industry and business organizations in which the litigation department active.
• Champion firm branding and related standards on creative services projects.
• Provide input and recommendations on local marketing programs and budget as related to the litigation department.
• Identify and support networking, speaking, media opportunities for litigation attorneys that support PG business plans.
• Serve as knowledge manager for practice groups and subject matter expert/liaison to marketing department.
• Develop and maintain marketing materials and collateral (descriptions, engagement lists, client lists, awards, etc.).
• Serve as point of contact on all matter tracking associated with assigned practice groups using the appropriate firm technologies (Web, Salesforce, SCORE, Intranet, etc.).
• Promote exposure to practice group and individual attorneys internally.
• Assist with recruiting efforts and orientation process.
MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS
• Research strategic market opportunities and successfully lead the cross-selling of existing services, practice groups and offices as well as overseeing the initiation of substantial, new client opportunities for the Firm.
• Provide assistance to attorneys and staff through effective communication ensuring a well-informed and highly motivated team effort.
• Work cooperatively with staff and managers at the local office to advance both marketing and general administrative goals and projects.
• Role model the use of the Salesforce tool in managing the sales pipeline and for practice group business development.
• Exercise care in the course of work to prevent injuries to oneself and co-workers.
• Other duties, as assigned or required.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum three (3) years in marketing-related field.
• Ability to work overtime when necessary.
• After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and other Cooley applications.
• Following training, exhibit proficiency in Firm marketing systems software (e.g. Salesforce, SCORE database, Website).
• College degree in either business, communication, marketing, or related field.
• Minimum one (1) year of business development experience or sales experience.
• Experience in a law firm or professional services environment, with a working knowledge of professional services industries.
• Project management experience and direct experience in creating and monitoring sales and business plans, goal tracking and sales pipeline management.
• Ability to work with little direct supervision, in a highly collaborative environment.
• Ability to multi-task, problem solve, work well under pressure and coordinate sophisticated marketing programs with good results.
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
• Assertive, but flexible as to style; must be able to handle stressful situations and interact with various personalities and communication styles at all levels in the Firm.
• Strong analytic and research skills.
• Ability to master the use of complex marketing systems and to train others on these systems.
• Strong ability to function well as a team member and facilitator.
• Exhibit high energy and genuine enthusiasm for law firm marketing activities and goals while maintaining a healthy, competitive spirit.
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Comprehensive, accurate note-taking.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to develop professional relationships with department members, attorneys and firm staff.
• Must be reliable and punctual.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: No direct reports.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Access, input & retrieve information from a computer to produce typed copy, free of errors, without the assistance of another person.
• Willingness and capacity to come and go from the workstation, repeatedly throughout the day as is necessary, to perform various responsibilities.
• Capacity to communicate and enunciate adequately, in person or via telephone, in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the employee is speaking.
• Capability of dialing or otherwise using a telephone to place calls.
• Frequent keyboard duties.
• Capacity to pick up, leaf through and read books, files and other materials.
• Ability to read without the assistance of a screen reading/speech synthesizer/Braille printer or alternative device due to extreme variations in the forms of reading materials received and used by the Firm.
• Willingness and capacity to sit/stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time to prepare work.
• Capacity to reach forward to a high of 48 inches, to a low of 15 inches, to the side 54 inches and to the low side 9 inches above the floor.
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to load discs and to change settings, devices, fixtures, etc., on various equipment used in and around a law firm.
• Ability to make/retrieve copies from various copy and fax machines.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to various components of an office environment such as florescent lighting, pollen, dust, recycled air, VDTs, semi-enclosed areas, central heating and air conditioning and office noise.
GENERAL SIGN-OFF: Specific duties for this position will be assigned; the requirements may vary from time to time, depending on the needs of the Firm. In addition to being able to perform the Physical Demands, a Cooley LLP employee will be required to meet personal and education, physical, medical, safety and other requirements established by the Firm for this position.