Job Title: Business Development Manager
Company: Barnes & Thornburg LLP
Location: Indianapolis, IN or Chicago, IL
Working within our close-knit and innovative marketing team, B&T is searching for an experienced BDM interested in providing support for lawyers in our growing Government Services and Environmental Services Departments. If you are a self-confident, yet total team player with solid legal industry experience, advanced client service skills and a strategic mindset, we invite you to consider our available position. Our team is nationwide, though this position will be in Indianapolis or Chicago.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serves as the main point of contact (account executive) with assigned practice areas to access specialists and services within the marketing department team.
2. Develops and executes marketing and business development strategies and plans to support assigned departments, practice groups, teams and individual attorneys.
3. Provides support for assigned attorneys and teams in their specific new business pursuits – including proposals, RFP responses and capabilities presentations.
4. Monitors, analyzes and communicates market, industry and competitive trends for assigned practice areas. Conducts research related to clients, prospects, industry segments and competitors.
5. Develops and executes business development coaching plans with attorneys in assigned practice areas. Provides customized one-on-one coaching for assigned attorneys.
6. Plans, develops and executes marketing activities for assigned practice areas. Provides leadership for campaigns and for one-off opportunities. Activities include conferences, events, seminars, webinars and other activities that offer networking opportunities and access to prospects for assigned attorneys. Builds and maintains a calendar of internal and external events for assigned practice areas.
7. Supports the identification and planning for speaking engagements, events, conferences and seminars for assigned practice areas.
8. Collaborates with attorneys and practice area leadership on business development budget development, monitoring, and adjustments of assigned department, practice group and other marketing budgets. Evaluates and approves submitted attorney expenses as incurred.
9. Teams with leadership of assigned departments and other ICS/marketing staff in planning and completing lateral attorney orientations. Collaborates longer-term with lateral attorneys on business development planning, client migration to B&T and marketing expense planning and management.
10. Assists department and practice group leaders with business development-related administrative reports and presentations.
11. Plans and executes activities required to produce lawyer ranking submissions.
12. Supports cross-selling efforts, including assessment of the assigned practice areas’ penetration of the firm’s key accounts to identify and help monetize business development opportunities.
13. Develops a deep understanding of assigned practice areas, including services, expertise, clients and competitors. Serves as a firmwide connector who helps attorneys network within B&T.
14. Builds strong business relationships with lawyers and key staff within assigned practice areas, as well as with colleagues on the marketing team.
15. Attends practice area meetings and conference calls as appropriate to provide marketing team input and support.
16. Works with practice area leaders and the marketing team by helping to create/update practice descriptions, website information and additional special projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. A Baccalaureate degree with course work in relevant subjects such as marketing, communications or business management; MBA preferred.
2. Three (3) to seven (7) years’ experience in business development, sales or marketing in a professional services environment.
3. Demonstrated history of providing difference-making client service. Ability to recognize client needs and marshal resources to execute on them.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills and exceptional written and oral communications skills with the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely.
5. Proficiency at working independently and in teams with attorneys and marketing teammates. Must be resourceful with a hands-on approach and proven “make it happen” mindset.
6. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
7. Ability to travel to all offices as required.
To apply - use the following link: https://careers.btlaw.com/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=10&FilterJobCategoryID=4&FilterJobID=256