Job Title: Business Development Manager
Organization: Phelps Dunbar LLP
Location: New Orleans, LA
Phelps Dunbar LLP is looking for a Business Development Manager resident in our New Orleans office to join a collaborative team. The candidate will be asked to help position the firm in assigned industries and practices, develop competitive intelligence reports and assist in prospect targeting. Strong writing and editing skills are necessary. The position will work closely with the Marketing Communications and Business Development team, practice group leaders and Firm leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following.
• Develop and maintain a thorough and specific understanding of the capabilities of Phelps’s industries, practices and up and coming skills.
• Work with key attorney leaders to set up a pursuit plan for specific clients and targets including action steps to move the relationships forward. Continuously monitor and report progress.
• Proactively propose new areas of work to pitch, identify targeted thought leadership and recommend networking and trade association involvement.
• Provide regular competitive intelligence to the assigned practice groups.
• Track industry and client-level issues facing organizations and communicate to practice group teams.
• Manage pitch and competitive proposals including developing proposal strategies, evaluating competitive landscapes, writing proposals in partnership with the attorneys and editorial team.
• Work with fellow Business Development team members to identify cross-selling opportunities.
• Collaborate with Marketing Communications colleagues to keep practice descriptions, attorney biographies and other marketing communications updated.
• Assist in developing award submissions.
• Participate in and assist in ensuring client events are successful investments by prepping attorneys in advance and prompting follow-up efforts.
• Liaise with Marketing Communications to help develop media opportunities for attorneys and help prepare external client communications.
• A minimum of five years of professional services industry experience, preferably in a law firm, and relevant experience in a marketing/business development role.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Solid writing, editing, proofreading, presentation and overall communication skills with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of peers, attorneys, staff, clients and outside professionals at all levels.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with deadline requirements and prioritize multiple competing demands.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• An experienced user of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and knowledgeable about other social media platforms trends.
• Travel to the firm’s offices, industry and other events as needed.
Phelps Dunbar is an AmLaw 200 law firm of more than 300 attorneys equipped to serve clients in the major commercial centers from New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Jackson, Tupelo and Gulfport, Mississippi; Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas; Tampa, Florida; Birmingham and Mobile, Alabama; Raleigh, North Carolina; and London, England.