Job Title: Business Development Manager
Organization: Cornerstone Research Inc
Location: Washington, D.C.
Cornerstone Research provides economic and financial consulting and expert testimony in all phases of complex litigation and regulatory proceedings. We work with a broad network of testifying experts, including prominent faculty and industry practitioners, in a distinctive collaboration. Our staff consultants contribute expertise in economics, finance, accounting, and marketing, as well as business acumen, familiarity with the litigation process, and a commitment to produce outstanding results.
Named one of the Best Workplaces by Inc. Magazine, at Cornerstone Research you will be part of a thriving team of more than 700, spanning eight offices, comprising more than 40 nationalities, and leading the industry in its commitment to develop team members across all levels.
You’ll Love it Here If You…
• Are thoughtful and open to learning
• Have a high bar for excellence
• Believe that teamwork leads to success; #onefirmfirm!
• Always do things the right way, even if it’s harder
• Are truly committed and passionate about what you do
About the Role
The Business Development Manager ensures the effective promotion and development of our brand to current and potential clients. This role has several dimensions:
• This role leverages the time of the firm’s senior consulting staff by providing support for their business development (BD) and marketing efforts.
• This role manages all third party relationships for speaking and sponsorships to best leverage the opportunity, ensure seamless implementation, and to follow-up on resulting opportunities and future years’ involvement. Working closely with the marketing team, the Business Development Manager will take the lead on securing, implementing, and leveraging speaking and sponsorships for the firm.
• This role also supports hosted events on an assigned basis to help with personal outreach and to maximize the effectiveness of the business and client development associated with the event.
• This role will conduct research and analyze data and insights with a focus towards identifying and implementing resources to assist in activities associated with attracting new clients, retaining current clients, and exploring new business relationship opportunities.
• This role performs competitive analyses and monitors legal market insights to create alerts and tools for the senior consulting staff and the corporate operations.
The Business Development Manager works closely with the Chief Marketing Officer, the Director of Events and Marketing Operations, and the Senior Manager, Business Development. This role works across practices, offices, and with the full marketing department to leverage business development opportunities.
How You’ll Help Us Be Successful
• Responsible for planning, logistics, implementation, follow-up, and any other support needed for sponsorships/speaking engagements while working directly with the OPMA.
• Analyze trends and business opportunities to concisely and quickly report on their potential and assist in the development and implementation of projects supporting those opportunities.
• Monitor competition and prepare regular updates, alerts, and insight.
• Monitor law firm/legal industry trends.
• Proactively manage awards applications for senior staff and experts together with the Marketing Communications team.
• Build, manage, and leverage strategic third party relationships for speaking, sponsorship, and thought leadership opportunities and anticipate staff and expert’s needs.
• Support Marketing Metrics Report data collection, analysis, and report development and work with the marketing analyst team and the Director of Events and Marketing Operations.
• Evaluate new business development opportunities.
• Mine InterAction (CRM) and data sources to proactively build target attorney lists for practices and offices.
• Promptly facilitate follow-up on strategic client interactions to accelerate the conversation to a more serious stage.
• Create sustainable processes in all of the endeavors.
What You’ll Need to Be Successful
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or other related fields of study required, MBA preferred.
• 7+ years’ experience in business development, sales, or marketing. Good understanding of professional services environment or previous professional services experience.
• Law firm, financial services, or other professional services familiarity is required.
• Strong analytical skills, with a firm understanding of competitive analysis and strategic marketing.
• Demonstrated experience in analyzing and synthesizing information into concise recommendations and strategic plans. Create and deliver management presentations and reports.
• CRM experience is required.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills.
• Proactive problem solving skills with strong attention to detail.
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and strong project management skills.
• Ability to work independently and with minimal direction and to manage by influence.
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate and build relationships with vendors, experts, and clients a part of developing BD initiatives.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs required. Knowledge or ability to learn other programs is a requirement.
What Will Differentiate You
• Leadership: the desire to take initiative and actively contribute to the team and firm
• Communication: the ability to communicate effectively and professionally
• Business Acumen: the capability to learn the firm’s financial and operational functions
• Client Service: the mindset to provide superior service
CORNERSTONE RESEARCH’S CULTURE
Our uniquely collegial and supportive atmosphere makes Cornerstone Research a great place to work. Cornerstone Research invests in its people in a number of ways including providing development opportunities and organizing memorable social events. To many, our culture and our people are the most exciting and enriching aspects of a career at Cornerstone Research.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Cornerstone Research is an equal employee opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
This position will be located preferably in our Washington, DC office, but will consider applicants located near our other Cornerstone Research offices.