Senior Director of Business DevelopmentOrganization:
Brownstein Hyatt Farber SchreckLocation:
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck is a unique law firm that operates at the intersection of business, law and politics. Based in Denver, Colorado, Brownstein has approximately 270 attorneys and policy professionals and more than 550 employees in 12 offices across the country, including Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. We are seeking a Senior Director of Business Development to be located in the firm’s Denver office to oversee the firm’s Business Development function including the firm’s regional Business Development Directors. Reporting to the firm’s Chief Operating Officer and working closely with the firm’s Chief Culture & Communications Officer, this position will lead the implementation of strategically focused revenue generating business development activities across the firm. A member of the firm’s Business Leadership Team, this highly credible business development professional will have a strong track record in professional services business and client development and understands the firm’s entrepreneurial spirit as well as have a fundamental understanding of integrating a sales-focused approach into the firm’s BD functions. The ideal candidate will leverage their experiences and legal industry knowledge to bring a thoughtful, creative approach to business development. The successful candidate must be able to manage, motivate and lead a team of business development professionals across the firm.
- Work with the firm’s leadership, department chairs, attorneys and members of the business development and communications teams to design and implement tactics that support strategic business plans.Ensure that appropriate department resources are aligned to support business development objectives.
- Lead a team of ten employees. Hold the team accountable to defined objectives and goals tied to strategy; set consistent, high standards for proactive, strategic service excellence from all members of the BD team.
- Implement best practice “integrated business development” approaches that leverage thought leadership, events, digital marketing, speaking, writing, etc., to maximize business development program effectiveness and efficiency.Relentlessly pursue operational effectiveness and innovation in service delivery.
- Gather intelligence on emerging market and industry trends to provide attorneys with an understanding of the competitive landscape and to position the firm for increased effectiveness in retaining clients and winning new business.Facilitate cross marketing, referrals and other account management initiatives.
- Identify, analyze and pursue potential business development opportunities within the existing client base and with prospective clients.
- Develop and manage a proactive and organized sales process and pipeline, and track achievement against business plans and diversity objectives.
- Continuously evaluate marketing and business development plans and track the ROI of initiatives and ensure that priorities and budget are properly allocated.
- Create systems, processes and work flow that streamlines process and maximize results within the department. Work collaboratively within a matrix organization structure to implement systems and application.
- Conduct lawyer training and provide coaching on the business development process, competencies, skills and techniques.
- Build consensus by influencing and persuading others, leveraging experience and building credibility.
- 10-15 years’ experience in legal or professional services marketing.
- Actively involved in professional services marketing associations, cultivating networks in the business and legal communities.
- Executive presence, integrity, and professionalism that will engender confidence with lawyers, administrative leadership, direct reports, and prospective and existing clients of the firm.
- Exceptional team and functional manager with an unquestioned work ethic who develops others and leads by example in a motivating, inclusive and "roll-up-your sleeves” style.
- Utilizes information assembled from varied perspectives; follows up to ensure success; challenges assumptions and probes facts; knows how to acquire relevant information; obtains information by asking questions, reading, and searching data sources.
- Demonstrates a commitment to high standards; provides excellent service to both internal and external clients; consistently produces high quality results; completes work in a timely fashion; takes pride in work; and, continually seeks improvement.
- Strategic thinker who can successfully translate emerging business issues and trends into opportunities for the firm. A resourceful, creative approach to problem-solving with sound judgment and solid decision-making skills.
- Collegial and consensus building, with a high degree of emotional intelligence evidenced by strong influencing and adapting skills and ability to gain trust and support from lawyers, peers and direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or business is required
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter and resume to Colleen Wheeler, Staff Recruiting Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org